WGVU Public Media
WGVU’s mission is to Educate, Inform, Inspire, Enlighten, and Entertain by providing quality programming and events in West and Southwest Michigan community as a service of Grand Valley State University. WGVU’s mission is to Educate, Inform, Inspire, Enlighten, and Entertain by providing quality programming and events in West and Southwest Michigan community as a service of Grand Valley State University. WGVU is the exclusive PBS station from the Michigan border of Indiana north to Ludington and from the Lakeshore to Ionia County; we are the only public television, news, and emergency information station for the 2.4 million people living in the surrounding 28 counties, while WGVU radio serves approximately 1.3 million unique listeners.
WGVU Public Media is an integral part of our community’s landscape. Programs airing on WGVU Public Media are among the highest quality and most authoritative on topics including science, nature, arts, history, public affairs, and include the most educational programs for children. The citizens who value this programming willingly provide financial and volunteer support and have done so continuously since the station began in 1972. WGVU supporters regularly share that our station has positively impacted several generations of their families.
So how do we know this?
- By the child who met Sid the Science Kid and then wanted to work on a science project.
- By the mother who received an “Oscar the Grouch” director’s chair as an on-air pledge gift years ago, and now sees her grandchild use it as they watch Sesame Street and learn to read.
- By the young boy who watched Bob Ross “The Joy of Painting” shows and grew up to be a graphic artist.
- By the woman in her 80’s who has listened to the radio all her life and says public radio is the only place she hears unbiased news in-depth.
- By the listeners in other states who tune in online to stream the songs that transport us back to our youth on Real Oldies 1480AM.
The majority of our operating funds come from individual members, each gift generously supporting our station and community events, making our home a better place. Your gift goes well beyond the programming you see and hear on your television or radio; the real impact of your gift is the way WGVU transforms our world.