Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of Michigan
We organized in 1976 as a chapter of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America. In 2015, we reorganized and obtained our own 501 (c)(3) non-profit status. From a nucleus of 18 patients we now serve over 580. Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of Michigan (MG-MI) is dedicated to assisting patients and their families. This is accomplished through one-on-one contact, support group meetings, distribution of educational materials, counseling and lecture presentations. Through MG awareness the public learns more about this puzzling illness.
We provide the following services to patients under the direction of a part-time Executive Director:
- Information and Support meetings in several cities throughout Michigan. Patients and their families and friends learn about the illness by sharing tips on living with the condition.
- Educational materials for patients, the public and medical professionals.
- A network where patients connect with each other through the “Circle of Friends”
- Newsletters featuring activities, medical and/or patient oriented articles.
- Medication Assistance Program to provide financial support of medications to treat MG.
- Assist newly diagnosed patients in adjusting to MG and coordinating in-hospital visits upon request.
We also support research to find the cause and cure of MG. Working together we move toward a world without MG.